New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Chrysanthemum Jelly




I was dissapointed with the appearance of this jelly!!! Ugly dirty looking thing!

But, my colleagues comforted me saying that it's ok...... and they loved the taste and texture of it. Springy, with a slight crunch, and fragrantly chrysanthemum...

I might wanna change the solidifying agent to gelatine the next time I make it, so that it looks pretty... or konnyaku powder.... but the texture will not be the same. the greyish colour could be due to the water chestnut starch I used.. it looked greyish. Maybe different brands will yield different results. The pic of the brand I used is down below...

But still, it tasted cool and fresh... not matter how ugly it looks.


Ingredients
750ml water
25gm dried chrysanthemum flowers
100gm rock sugar
250ml water
115gm water chestnut powder
1 Tbsp chopped dried wolfberries (gei zhi)

Method
1. Boil 750ml of water in a pot, turn off heat and put in chrysanthemum flowers. Infuse for 15 minutes. Do not boil the flowers.
2. Strain chrysanthemum infusion.
3. Select a few infused flowers to collect the petals. Discard the yellow centres.
4. Mix 250ml water with water chestnut powder.
5. Boil 500ml of chrysanthemum infusion with sugar and chopped wolfberries. When sugar has dissolved and infusion is boiling, turn off fire. Put in flower petals.
6. Slowly pour (5) into (4), stirring clockwise until mixture thickens.
7. Pour onto a lightly greased pan and steam on high heat for 10 minutes and medium heat for another 10 minutes.
8. Cake will be ready when sit turns translucent
9. Chill in fridge until fully set before serving.

http://www.meishichina.com/Eat/Nosh/200808/45379.html


5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Coincidentally, I have a similar recipe using osmanthus flowers instead, you may want to give it a try.I just made chrysanthemum agar agar and saw your recipe here. This reminded me that I could have used my osmanthus flowers jelly recipe for chrysanthemum flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thinking of making some of these so that i can "force" my son to consume a bit of Chrysanthemum...(evil..hee..hee..)May i ask why u put in the petals? For deco or...? i saw that Blessed Homemaker (Hi n thanks)used agar-agar powder instead of water chestnut powder. what's the difference? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, this jelly's texture is like kuih, or maybe a slightly stretchy jelly kuih. I put in the petals, actually hoh, for deco, floating petals look pretty (in clear jellies, they do, but not here). The petals are edible. Actually I don't quite like this, maybe the color's too ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thanks for sharing this recip.
    I tried the recipe immediately when I came across your blog (using osmanthus). It tasted funny on the first day, so I left it in the fridge till the next day, tasted better. I wonder how what's the difference if I use arrowroot powder.
    cheers/Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine,
    Ohhh.. I have no idea.
    I've never used arrowroot powder before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...