New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Steamed Pumpkin Buns 南瓜包





I bought one big pumpkin for my pumpkin jam, and there was more than a cup of pumpkin puree left.

Planned to make these into steamed buns, but in the end, I baked half of it.
I might have oversteamed it, as the baked ones turned out well, but my steamed ones sort of collapsed. I think I should steam them at medium heat, due to the high butter content, cos the baked ones were fine, as they were baked at a med low heat.
Tastewise, still fine. I quite like it, but I think I’d change the flour used to all bread flour the next time I make it, instead of a mix.

100ml water
1 sachet dry yeast
400gm pau flour
100gm bread flour
1 tsp double action baking powder
50gm sugar
300gm pumpkin puree
100gm butter
some pumpkin seeds for decoration

1. Dissolve yeast in water. Add in a pinch of sugar. Set aside and let it froth.
2. Mix pau flour, bread flour, double action baking powder and sugar together.
3. Make a well and pour in yeast mixture and pumpkin puree.
4. Combine well and knead until dough is no longer sticky.
5. Put in butter and continue to knead until butter is well incorporated.
6. Cover and leave to proof until double, about an hour.
7. Punch down and knead for another 10 minutes.
8. Divide dough into 20 portions, almost 50gm each.
9. Line tart tins with muffin cases.
10. Roll each portion into a ball and place into lined tart tins.
11. Leave dough to proof until double, about 45 minutes.
12. Steam on high heat for 10-12 minutes.

For Baked version
After step 8, Roll each portion into a ball and place into muffin cups. Leave to proof until double. Top with pumpkin topping and pumpkin seeds. Bake at 150C for 15 minutes.

To make pumpkin topping: Take 2 Tbsp pumpkin puree, mix with 1/2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp flour. Mix well, and put mixture into a clean plastic bag. Snip off one small corner and pipe as desired.


*** You might need to bake it at a higher temperature, as my oven browns bread very easily. 150C is just nice for my oven.


5 comments:

  1. HI Wendy,

    Can I ask your advice on double action baking powder. I noticed that sometime you used this type, other times normal baking powder. What is the difference & which circumstances do you use the different types of baking powder?

    If I want to try this recipe, can I use normal baking powder?

    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debby,
    Yup, the older recipes called for double action baking powder because I read that regular baking powder will lose its power left for long during fermentation and DABP will not. Most recipes will call for DABP.
    But then as I baked more, I also found out that the modern baking powder is not the same as baking powder from the old old times. It will not lose its power due to the current BP uses another acidic agent that will only react upon contact with heat.
    So, I am just using regular baking powder nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi wendy,

    what's the measurement as i have instant yeast
    thanks
    Ros
    email:ef_lee2002@yahoo.com.sg

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...