New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Green Curry Chicken, again


I didn’t plan to do this, but then I saw Thai basil in Jusco!!!! OMG, I just got to make something with that, and on yeah, green curry. It’s been dog years since I’ve done that. And this time, I’m gonna use cumin with it as well, it’s supposed to have cumin, just that I didn’t have that last time, so now, I’m gonna use that too.


(A)
750gm chicken pieces, chopped into smaller pieces and marinate with 1 tsp salt for 30 minutes
1 russet potato or any other floury potatoes, peeled and cubed

(B)
8 green chillies (seeds partially removed, I keep some for the heat)
2 lemon grass (4 inches from the base)
3-4 shallots
2 cloves garlic
Thumb sized ginger
Pinkie sized belacan/shrimp paste
1 Tbsp oil


(C )
1 tbsp coriander seeds
½ Tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black pepper

(D)
200ml thick coconut milk
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking
Handful of Thai basil

1. Blend (B) plus 3 Tbsp coconut cream (skim the top of the 200ml coconut milk) until it becomes a smooth paste
2. Mill (C ) until fine
3. Heat wok and put in 1 tbsp oil and fry (c ) until fragrant, put in (B) and cook until it is very fragrant.
4. Put in chicken and potatoes. Cook for 2 minutes
5. Put in water to cover chicken and cook until potato turns tender.
6. Reduce gravy to desired amount and put in coconut milk. Season with salt.
7. When curry has come to a boil, put in basil leaves and give it a toss and dish up. Serve hot with rice.


Note: If you do not own a food processor like me, but own a blender than comes with a mill, you can do this. To make a smoother paste, divide ingredients B into 3 parts, except the oil. Mill each part until they all get mushed up. Put all mushed up (B) into the blender, then 1 Tbsp oil and 3 tbsp coconut cream, then puree until fine. This way, your green curry paste will be very fine.

Liquidizers or Blenders are not the same stuff back in 20 years ago. I remember the first blender at home was so sharp, that we can just blitz anything, and they will turn superfine in just seconds. Even pandan leaves, and the mill that came with it could make a fine sambal paste or fine garlic paste for my garlic bread. Nowadays, it’s no longer the same story. My so called “Microcutter blender” doesn’t even blend as fine as my regular National blender. Pandan leaves are a chore to it, and I had to snip them real fine to relieve the motor of hard work. And I never get the same smooth fine chili paste that I could get with my old mill. Don’t even talk about milling 2 cloves of garlic that my old one could do a fine job with. They may have come from the same brand (old was National, new was Panasonic, they were practically the same company renamed). Where is the old quality??? Gone with the name, I guess.


22 comments:

  1. Looks very appetizing. I bet it tastes yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. waaaa ur basil is very healthy hahahaa fat and green

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love green curry! Yours looks absolutely mouth-watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. immediate bookmarked, I never cook green curry before, must try when I get some basil leaf from Jusco. Wishing you a happy mid autumm festival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry comment sent incomplete, network is bad here. I nearly doze off on the seminar but was awake by your green curry, give me some, it has been ages since I last eaten this. And happy mid autumn festival to you my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Wendy,
    i got some basil seeds. you wana plant some at home? can expose to direct sunlight, but i not sure its aroma is same as Thai Basil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love green curry. It's so good with rice. Yours looks very delicious....yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wah, the basil slaves do look so fresh and luscious... I would be tempted by them too....

    ReplyDelete
  9. The purple thingy is basil flower or pod? So pretty...
    I wanna say I'll bookmark this but really dunno when I can do some serious cooking in the kitchen...so, til then lah...
    (Yours would definately be a hit with JH but I'll substitute coconut milk with evaporated milk coz he needs to jaga his blood pressure)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A timely reminder that I should start making green curry paste to stock up! I love green curry and the basil flavour. My thai basil plants are withering1 sob!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belly Good Cooking,
    thanks


    Manglish,
    Hahaha, gemuk ka???
    Think the farmer did a good job loo.


    NEL,
    Thanks


    Sonia,
    I'm not sure the Jusco near ur place will have Thai basil, but sweet basil will work just as fine. Ipoh's Jusco range of produce is different from other Jusco becos there is a rented space for a farmer from Camerons.
    I can even get buddha's hand, citrons, fennel and radiciol from there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess Bakericious,
    Oh yes, basil has an awakening fragrance, and I'm glad you could smell it there , ahahah!!


    Joanne,
    Mesti mau. What's the colour of the flower??
    Eh, or u sprout it for me with ur high tech gadgets and give to me as housewarming gift??
    I'll love u to bits for that.



    MaryMoh,
    thanks



    Shirley,
    Haha, I used the prettiest one for garnish :)



    Meldy,
    It's flowers. Very nice smell.
    Frankly if you want to use evaporated milk, make sure u get evaporated full cream milk.
    Using evaporated creamer or filled milk isn't any better than fresh coconut milk. To me, it's worse.



    Busygran,
    Weather is hot, and it can suddenly rain. This is no good to herbaceous plants. Can always plant more :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks very good but his ingredients are very wierd

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea of basil in curry... delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. alutzu,
    the ingredients may sound foreign to you, but they are not weird. They are proper food ingredients.



    3 hungry tummies,
    Thanks



    Anne,
    Basil is a must for Thai Green Curry.
    It makes the curry smell a lot lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wendy, I'm a fan of green curry ... Will try your recipe once I'm settled down.

    Lunch break, now. Surprised hor? HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wan Yee,
    ok la. when? let me know 4 weeks before the big day.

    the variety i have got dark purple stems and white flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joanne,
    Oh, that is Thai basil loooo.
    My new house warming will be on Lyanne's birthday. :)
    Tentatively. The other day ur parents asked me about it, I've told them before, but dunno if they remember.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cherry potato,
    Very appetizing, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...