New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chinese Cabbage Rolls in Broth - Chinese Cabbage #2



This idea of doing something like this has been in my head for quite some time after seeing these on Anne's blog.

Finally I got it done and there are some regrets to it. I think my filling needs some changes. It's tender, but a bit too tender for me, it doesn't fall apart, but.. then.. maybe I should just skip the egg, give the mince more workout, because I used frozen mince, which tends to be softer than fresh. But it was well received by my kids and Lydia could eat up one large roll herself and asking for more, LOL.





I used scallop broth for this, but really you can use any broth you like, Bilis broth, chicken broth... just anything that you think you will enjoy drinking later. But personally I think seafood based broth will be a better choice to complement the pork filling. Since Chinese New Year is here, why not use Abalone broth for a bit indulgence. LOL.



Chinese Cabbage Rolls in Broth
Recipe by: WendyinKK

8 to 10 pieces of Chinese cabbage leaves.
Few stalks of Chinese chives (select the long ones)
1L Broth of choice or more

Filling
200gm minced pork
50gm shelled shrimp, chopped
2 Tbsp finely minced wood ears (pre soaked)
2 Tbsp finely minced carrots
2 Tbsp sliced spring onions
2 Tbsp finely minced water chestnuts
1/3 tsp salt
1 heaped Tbsp cornstarch
1 egg

1. Boil a pot of water and blanch Chinese cabbage leaves until soft. It takes about 30 seconds. Dunk them into tap water to cool off. Blanch Chinese chives and dunk in tap water to cool off. Drain both in a colander.
2. Combine pork, shrimp, salt, cornstarch and egg. Give it a thorough mix.
3. Put the minced vegetables into the meat mixture. Mix to combine.
4. Place one piece of cabbage onto cutting board. Spread it apart. Place in heaped Tbsp of filling in the middle of the white part. Roll up and tuck in the sides and complete the rolling. Secure the roll with a piece of Chinese chive.
5. Place rolls in a pot. Pour in just enough broth to cover the rolls. Bring to a boil on medium heat. When it has boiled, pour in the remaining broth and let it come back to a full boil on medium heat, lower to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.




13 comments:

  1. I don't tie mine just use toothpicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too.....done in a unique presentation! Your guests must be impressed to indulge this in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oo.. so enticing... I m gonna try this recipe! I love this cabbage and this looked very healthy too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy,
    This looks so pretty, like a jade parcel.
    I like this very much..:)

    mui

    ReplyDelete
  5. No frying and cleaning. Easy to prepare and yet tasty! Love your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, now I know 'Chinese cabbage' is totally different than I used to cook. This is a really easy recipe, and yet healthy I need to try this. Thank you wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious and healthy! A winner all round. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy, made these during a CNY gathering! well loved dish! mine didnt look as good though:P chives strings didnt work out so i just let it be..haha.thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...