New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Garlic Roasted Peanuts - Nutty Treats #3


I love eating garlic peanuts, normally they are fried.
Perfect beer food, and for me it's perfect Shandy food, LOL.

A lot of people like having peanuts for Chinese New Year because of the name that sounds like 'grow'. It's a lot cheaper to make these yourself than buying. Here, where raw materials aren't very cheap, I got mine at RM8.50/kg. And I chose to bake them instead of frying

If you love snacking on peanuts, give this a try, you might get addicted.
I have already hidden these from my husband.... LOL





Garlic Roasted Peanuts
Recipe source: WendyinKK

500gm skinless peanuts, split before use
1 tsp salt**
Half a bulb of garlic
1/2 cup water

1. Peel garlic and blend it together with salt and water until everything is really fine.
2. Put the garlic brine into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat. Pour in all the peanuts, give it a stir. Let the peanuts sit, tossing them every now, until all the brine is absorbed, takes about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven at 150(fan)/170C. Line a big baking tray with baking paper.
4. Pour all the soaked peanuts onto the tray, spreading them out, preferably single layer (some being on top is fine, but not too much)
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and shake the peanuts from the paper (yeah, it sticks at this time). Stir it around and break clumps.
6. Put it back into the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove and stir. Do this twice.
7. Do a taste test and bake for another 5 minutes (I did), if it's needed.
7. Let the nuts cool down totally and store in air tight container.

*The time is just a guideline, do a taste test to determine whether yours is cooked. The timing here is what I did.
** If you prefer it obviously salty, try 1/2 Tbsp salt. 1 tsp is just 'seasoned'





23 comments:

  1. Wow....this sounds good and yours indeed looks better than those sold at the shop. Shall try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy yummy .....which type of peanut? normal for cook soup or those big size?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genie,
    Thanks


    Elin,
    Kekeke.. u like garlic right


    Mk Moon,
    There's only 1 type sold skinless, it's the long one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thumb up....... easy never tried with garlic... will try today itself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it work for cashew nuts as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will definitely try it coz I like the idea it is non fried

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE snacking on nuts! And I love garlic! haha This is interesting that you actually soak the peanuts in the garlic solution, and not just use garlic powder. Definitely something I'll try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will sure try this! Sounds easy and I don't like to fry. Peanuts with garlic is my family favourite when we have our minum session during CNY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy, nice to meet you in person last Saturday. You are so lively, happy, friendly and easy to get along with. You are an expert in your culinary skills besides, I believe, many other skills which are still unknown to me.

    I love peanuts, so does my husband. Sometimes I can finish one whole packet by myself at one go if I allow myself the indulgence:( He loves big Shangdong peanuts especially. Looks like we'll be having home-baked garlic roasted peanuts for the first time and many more times to come and this will be another CNY item on my growing DIY list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing this recipe, i love this garlic peanut very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy,
    Are the peanuts starting out raw? Or are they starting out roasted already? The Chinese supermarkets here have a lot of raw peanuts that I usually boil but I'm dying to try your garlic recipe!
    Thanks.
    Clara King

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy, Are the peanuts you're using raw or are they roasted before you use them? The Chinese supermarkets have a lot of raw peanuts that I boil to eat and I'm dying to try your garlic recipe!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heera,
    hope u enjoyed them :)


    ice americanoes,
    Should be fine..but timing could be different


    Sem,
    Yes, I don't want it fried too


    dumpling love,
    Garlic salt won't penetrate as well as a brine, and I personally find garlic salt to smelll super strong, too pungent


    Phong Hong,
    LOL, mouth non stop eating and tallking at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angel,
    LOL, moderation, moderation



    Kon Yin,
    It was great meeting you too and thank you for the compliments.
    I hope that your family will like these peanuts, saves $$ than buying them roasted.



    xinghui,
    U're welcomed



    Clara,
    They are raw, as they are to be roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Wendy.. I love eating peanuts, especially with a lot of garlic.. this can send my hubby away from me LOL - he hate garlic. I never know how to make oven peanut garlic, people in my country always fry the peanut. Yours is even better. Thank you for sharing, I will try tomorrow..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Wendy, Wow! this brings me back to my childhood. I totally forgot about this snack. My father used to make them and I really like the garlic. I don't know how he did it but he will have garlic slices and I will pick all the garlic. Now I tried frying garlic slices but they turned out bitter. Do you have any idea why the garlic became bitter when fried? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Wendy

    I can only get those raw peanuts with skin on.. Those you use for soup or stew type.. They don't sell those that are skinless.

    How can I get the skin off if I'm to buy those with skin?

    Appreciate your help.

    Thank you
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chris,
    Boil a pot of water and throw the peanuts in. You will see the skin wrinkling. Drain it and rub in a towel. That's the easiest way to remove skin :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thumbs up…. Will definatly try it coz I like the idea it is non fried. Yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I want to make these peanuts as a gift. I am planning to use an air tight jar. How long do they last? I just want to write the expiry date.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...